Toluna wishes everyone Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!
Some interesting facts about the “Moon Cake” Festival.
- It falls on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese Han calendar.
- Contrary to popular belief the Mid-Autumn Festival does not always occur on a full moon. The Chinese lunar calendar does not coincide perfectly with the cycles of the moon.
- In ancient times, the Mid-Autumn Festival was the second Chinese “Valentine’s Day”, alongside the Double Seventh Festival (this usually falls in August).
- Older generation tend to give moon cakes as gifts as the younger generation tend to celebrate “virtually” by sending digital red envelops.
- The Mid-Autumn Festival is also celebrated in Vietnam, South Korea, Japan and the Philippines!